Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Two years ago this week ...

... I decided I was going to write a novel. I'd always thought the idea was intimidating -- worth bragging about, for sure -- but YIKES. Talk about a daunting project, but I was determined to prove to myself that I could do this. I'd read too many poorly executed books, and said too many times, 'I could have written that better.' Well, here was my chance.

I started with an empty paper sack and tossed in everything I love to read about: hackers, knitting, pink hair, adventures, European travel, British accents, geeks, romance, genetics ... I figured if I was going to put in the time and effort to write a book, I was going to make the process totally fun and, at the least, create something that I was proud of.

Six months (and many personal revelations) later, the rough 'dirty stone' (as Naomi Campbell refers to them) was 90,000 words of a mess, but it was my first finished novel and I loved it. I even went out and got fucshia highlights like Zellie in my hair to celebrate.

Without wasting a beat, I started in on ARCANE, my second novel, and five months later had completed that one as well.

... But MANAS fought it's way back to the foreground of my brain again. Now, knowing a little more of what I was doing re:writing, I retackled the novel, cutting 15,000 and adding back in another 10,000. I reworked passages so they read more smoothly and polished. Then, I gave it to very dear and very honest friend who ripped it to shreds -- and I actually found that I appreciated the criticism. Who was I becoming? I read, revised and edited until my eyes just couldn't take any more.

That fall, I gifted copies of the book to family -- they loved it, but once again I found I was unhappy with the final product. MANAS needed something, but not before I started my third novel (and current WIP) GLOW.

This spring, while taking a break from GLOW's Sundae and Brendan, the MANAS bug hit me again. I woke up one morning and realized I'd just dreamed up the opening to the sequel -- which means that my heroine, Zellie, had more story to tell. It then became my job to make sure her first story was the best I could make it. I read and re-read, and eventually subjected myself to the possibility of another heinous review from my friend. Thankfully, this time around, she loved it.

So, now it was time to show the new and improved MANAS off a little. Agents were contacted, copies were requested and here we are, back at present day.

I'm not sure exactly where this little-book-that-could is going to take me in the future, but I can tell you that it all started two years ago this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you in advance :)