Tuesday, September 29, 2009

BLOGFEST 2009: Day 9

When you're writing a book and making up characters, do you feel like you become that character, as well as that character becomes a part of you?
In a sense, sure. Every story comes from me, but it's not like I get to choose what the characters say. They just say it. It's hard to explain, but there have been times when I didn't know that a particular scene was going to end a certain way, or a character make a cameo so late in the book, until my fingers type it out. And, that's the best moment -- when the story takes on a mind of its own.

I guess the best answer to this question is that I love my characters. They each mean something different to me, and all of my heroines have a bit of myself braided into their personality. That doesn't mean I become the character in my mind and answer to her name -- because that's crossing a weird line. It's more of an RPG experience: For a few hours every day, I can put on this hat, then when I'm done, I take the hat off and put it away. Wearing the hat is fun, but it's always nice to get back to me :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you in advance :)